Maria Elena Gustin is a Licensed Clinical Pastoral Counselor and has worked with many children and adults providing individual and family counseling after establishing her nonprofit 501c3 corporation, LightHouse Counseling Services. She is an ordained minister in the Vineyard Church and led Children's Church and Women's Ministries for many years at the Clearwater Vineyard. Her counseling practice is grounded upon the following beliefs:
- there is not one method that fits all, and methods should be tailored to the individual needs of clients.
- parents are the most powerful tool for healing their children. It is her aim to equip and empower parents with therapeutic parenting skills.
- our loss of identity causes the pain, suffering, and maladaptive behavior we experience. In discovering who we are created to be, we heal, and break free of the lies we have been believing.
- God provides wisdom and knowledge in the fields of psychology, neuro-development, and other disciplines, and uses us as vehicles to provide healing and restoration.
Specializations: Maria provides family and individual counseling, parent coaching (for adoptive as well as non-adoptive parents) and is trained to manage trauma and attachment issues in children and adults from different backgrounds. Adoption, in itself, is a traumatic event. Often families are not equipped to manage the emotions and behaviors children bring with them and need additional tools and understanding of the impact of trauma. Individual counseling/coaching focusing on stress management, behavior change, and navigating through a difficult time in life is also offered.
Maria holds the following degrees and affiliations:
- Licensed Clinical Pastoral Counselor through National Christian Counselors Association
- BA & MA from Cornerstone University
- AAS in Nursing from Monroe Community College
- Rutgers Adoption Competency sponsored by Florida Department of Children & Famiies
- Certification from Back2Back Ministry in Trauma Competent Care
- Many other seminars and training in the special needs of adoptive families
Maria Elena Gustin
LightHouse Counseling Services - http://lighthousecounselingsvc.com